Friday, May 06, 2011

It lives!

I live!  I have much to blog about but I've been lacking the time to actually sit down and write said blogs.  And I haven't wanted to short-shrift my blog readers so I've ended up just sort of letting the days pass in blog silence.  Sorry!

This same thing happened last year when I left for tour -- I tried to stay on top of things, tried to blog and tweet but then as time stretched thin I was lucky if I had a chance to speak to my husband before collapsing into bed at the end of the day.  I just did a quick calculation and discovered that since mid-December I've been away from home more than I've been at home (in the last 137 days I've been away 71 of them and home 66).

Perhaps this accounts for the messy state of my house?

And of course I'm leaving town again.  Sunday I head to Weslaco Texas to speak and the next weekend I'll be at the Edward's Memorial Library near Charlotte (hear that NC peeps?  I'll be talking nearby!  They'll be selling books!  Come out!  Details here.)

I've truly had amazing times with all the travel -- so much that it's difficult to put into words (and to find the time to wrangle said experiences into words).  For example, last weekend I was the keynote speaker at Richland County Library's Kids in Print reception where they unveiled a truly fantastic literary magazine full of kid's poems, stories, photos, pictures, etc.

A friend of mine recently said that the best thing you can do in the world is find your tribe -- those people who are like you in so many ways.  The librarians at the Richland County Library are totally my tribe (if they'd accept me).  Seriously -- some amazing people down there (Columbia, SC -- my husband's local library growing up) and an equally amazing library.

In my scant time at home I've been diving back into the book I'm working on.  I'm still in the obsessive plotting/craft stage which necessitates me taking lots of long walks as I figure out bits and pieces.  Thankfully it's been *amazing* weather here and the park behind my house has a wonderfully sloping expanse of lawn that's perfect for lounging and pondering.

I've also read some great books!  I shall share them!  First, I'm a MASSIVE fan of Sarah MacLean.  She gets better and better and the only thing I don't like is having to wait for more.  Her latest Regency set romance, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart just came out.  It's awesome (and isn't YA, FYI).  Go forth and purchase and love it as much as I do!

Second, I think I may have been remiss in posting about Saundra Mitchell's The Vespertine.  This one has been out for a few months and I still can't stop thinking about it.  She is a gorgeous writer and this one is full of yummy romance.

Third, Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler.  I've actually had the first of this series, Hunger, at home and haven't read it.  But Rage caught my eye and I started it on a whim and WOW.  Her writing is stunning and the character is fascinating.  I couldn't put it down -- truly phenomenal on all levels.  This isn't a book for the faint at heart -- it's tough and raw and can be brutal emotionally but it shouldn't surprise anyone that these are the kinds of books that really stick with me.

Fourth: Wither.  I actually read this several months ago (and blurbed) and it's finally out!  Lauren DeStefano's writing is also very wonderful and I loved the claustrophobia of her dystopia.  I'm definitely looking forward to the next in this series.

I know there are other books I've read and loved recently but they're scattered throughout the house and it's time for me to get back to working on that next book.  I still hope to blog more about the amazing tour and other exciting things!  Sorry for the long absence!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being zombie fiction, movies and comic books fan good part of my 30 something years already - your books came as sort of fresh surprise in "our" mostly male sf&horror fiction world. Thank you for it. Fresh and from female point of view. Fantastic and in the same time fascinating too. But... too much of good stuff can sometimes be too much...

You give us info on your zombie world "drop by drop", and action filled scenes are actually rare, dynamic of course of action uneven and "bumpy", but even the slightest mood change of your female characters is described in such excruciating detail that not many male readers will have patience and will power to read too persistently. Not claiming to be expert on women, but after growing up, dating and living with few or a bit more than few - your main female characters seem to be a bit exaggerated in internal conflicts and self doubt. ... to the point of being self destructive, immature below their age level and even suicidal jumping out of nowhere to normal state of mind when needed. Not very believable...

As a survivor of besieged Sarajevo 1992 - 1996 not much unlike your Dark City, actual physical daily survival of your characters is sketchy at best lacking depth and believability (food production, clean water supplies, personal hygiene etc. etc. etc.). One city stays without enough food & water within days or latest months - imagine scarcity of it 100 years later and lack of green surfaces to produce enough of it. People have heavy stench after month not taking shower - imagine years without it - lice, bed bugs killing romance between Anne and Catcher or Elias and Abigail.
Behavior of Recruiters is plausible and well matched with extreme situation behavior patterns, but could be more "covered" with background info leading to their state of mind.
I could go on forever and ever but only to finish with completely unbelievable creation of flyable balloons within 24 hours with virtually no means to make them or test them in "MacGyver style" that ended your last book.

All in all - I enjoyed reading your books, but many if not majority of male readers will avoid your books from above mentioned reasons and it is pity because they have a great potential.

Wish you all the best and many, many new books for us to read.

Anonymous said...

I read Hunger not too long ago and really enjoyed it. And I'm number 3 on the list for Wither at my library. But currently I'm listening to (in my car) and reading (on my iPad) The Dead Tossed Waves. Great book! My library offers so many options and formats(I'm a little biased - I'm a librarian)! You have a good reader doing the audio, btw. I like her voice and expression.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

Just read TDAHP and LOVED. IT. The romance, the craziness of the world, and the dangers of that world dragged me in and didn't let go until the last page. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting out such a wonderful book.

-Susan

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to speak with Saundra Mitchell at your signing in Cincinnati. I loved The Vespertine and hope there are more. I enjoyed your story in Zombies vs. Unicorns, but its The Dark and Hollow Places that I am still thinking about weeks after reading it. This is a series I will read again!

Anonymous said...

Carrie!
I'm glad you've posted. I sent you an email and didn't get a reply.
Saw you in Phoenix, Arizona and really enjoyed myself, it being my first signing :) Good to see you.
By the way, I was the one who did a report off of your first best-seller and won one of the books you were giving out, 'Red Glove' by Holly Black. You told me to send my book report to you, it's in your inbox.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best regards,
-Emmalaine